Synopsis: This is a drill for working on the foundational blocking footwork which can be incorporated quite easily into a warm-up routine.
Age/Skill Level: This is suitable for all levels
Requirements: A net
Execution: Start players at the net in proper blocking ready position. Have them practice executing single and multi-step movements along the net (shuffles, cross-overs, etc.).
- You can set this up either with all players at the net working from a que or by having players go in a line first one way, then the other.
- Depending on the needs of your players you can either just have them do the footwork, or have them extend the move into the block jump.
- Players doing approaches opposite the blockers on the other side of the net can be introduced to provide a que and also work on properly fronting the hitter and timing the jump.
- This can be a good warm-up exercise
- You may want to avoid having players block directly across from each other as that tends to lead to players not fully penetrating when they execute their blocks.
- Make sure to reinforce the coaching ques you have for blocking in the areas of body position, penetration of the net, eye focus, etc.