Below is my current volleyball coaching resume/CV. You can also find my volleyball experience at my LinkedIn profile, and feel free to review my coaching philosophy. My academic research related to volleyball can be found on Research Gate. Feedback is welcome, as are any questions you may have. Feel free to reach out using the contact form.
Assistant Volleyball Coach – Radford University (2022-)
Hired as 1st Assistant for a Division I women’s program leading into the 2022 season. Radford competes in the Big South Conference. As a member of a small staff, I am involved with just about everything, though with primary lead when it comes to recruiting and opponent scouting.
- Team improved to 12-16 in 2022 from 6-22 overall in 2021, and to 8-8 from 4-11 in conference.
Global Director for Volleyball – Nation Academy (2018-)
This started off as Technical Director for a new juniors club in Charleston, SC, but rapidly expanded as the organization moved along the path toward becoming a national (even international) network of sites and clubs. I consult with senior management on all things volleyball related. That includes facility design planning, content development, relationship-building, potential initiatives, and more.
Further College/University Experience
Men’s & Women’s Volleyball Head Coach – Medaille University (2020-22)
Hired as the first full-time volleyball coach for both the men’s and women’s teams, which compete at the NCAA Division III level. Additionally, was advisor to SAAC.
- Men qualified for the conference tournament in 2021 (first since 2017, but couldn’t play due to covid), and again in 2022
- Led the 2021 Men to both the best conference record and first overall winning season since 2016; 2021 Women to their best home record since 2015; 2022 Men to the most home wins since 2016.
- Two 2021 Men selected All-Conference for the first time since 2018, with the first 1st Team award since 2017; Also placed two on the All-Conference team in 2022; One selection for the 2021 Women.
- Placed 10 total players on the 2021-22 Academic All-Conference list; seven in 2020-21
- Women earned the 2021 USMC/AVCA Team Academic Award (third in program history, first since 2004).
- Developed leadership programming for all student-athletes in Fall 2020 with two other head coaches
- Brought in three professional coaches and an AVCA Hall of Famer to speak to the teams (via Zoom)
- Arranged DataVolley training for the coaching staff from a USA national team technical coordinator
- Dramatically broadened the recruiting footprint from mainly regional to national and international
- Significantly expanded the program’s use of social media and initiated regular alumni communication
Acting Head Coach – Midwestern State University (2018)
Directed all aspects of an NCAA Division II program during Spring term after the departure of the head coach (family reasons) – including recruiting, training, budget, academic monitoring, and managing our graduate assistant.
Assistant Coach – Midwestern State University (2016-18)
Joined the staff of an NCAA Division II school playing in the Lone Star Conference with the mandate of helping the head coach turn the program into a regular league contender and NCAA tournament participant.
- 1st year: Improved our record from 0-16 in conference to 6-14. Reached the conference tournament for the first time in three years, placed three players on the All-Conference team, had one selected Academic All-Conference, moved up five places in the NCAA South Central Region rankings, and moved up 66 places in the year-end Division II Pablo Rankings. and 55 spots in the Massey Ratings.
- 2nd year: Bettered our conference record to 7-13 and our overall record to 15-16. The combined result for 2016/2017 was the best two year period since 2010/2011. Moved up another 4 places in the Region rankings, 12 places in Pablo, and 45 on Massey. Placed two players on the All-Conference team, and again had one selected Academic All-Conference.
- Planned, fund raised, and coordinated the first ever MSU athletic team foreign trip in 2017 (to Buenos Aires, Argentina). An article about the trip appeared at VolleyballMag.com.
- Arranged for members of the USA Sitting National Teams to come to campus to present a clinic in 2016.
- Organized a fundraising speaking event featuring 5-time USA Volleyball Olympian Danielle Scott in 2017.
Head Coach – Exeter University, UK (2012-14)
Led both the men’s and women’s squads across multiple competitions, the primary of which is BUCS (rough U.K. equivalent of the NCAA/NAIA in the U.S.). Managed assistant coaches. Mentored developmental coaches. Advised the leadership on organizational issues. Achieved historic success despite having no scholarship players while competing against teams with them. Teams featured players from over 20 different nations.
- Women’s BUCS National Semifinalists (2013-14)
- Men’s BUCS Final 8s (2012-13, 2013-14)
- Men’s Student Cup Finals qualification (2012-13, 2013-14)
- 3rd place overall in BUCS Volleyball points earned based on league, Championship, and Cup competition finishes of all teams (2013-14)
- Both men and women promoted to new BUCS Premier League South for 2014-15 based on 2013-14 performance (top 6 teams in southern UK).
- Combined 51-37 team record in student competitions, 82-55 overall
- Women 3rd in South West regional club league, 14-4 record (2013-14)
Assistant Coach – Brown University (2001-06)
Assisted the head coach (first season as 2nd Assistant, remainder as 1st Assistant) in all facets of managing the program, including in-season and off-season training, match management, opponent scouting, recruitment, travel and budget, alumnae relations, and athlete counseling.
- 2001 Ivy League Co-Champions
- Coached 12 All-Ivy honorees who earned 17 total awards (14 during my tenure).
- Coached 7 Academic All-Ivy honorees who earned 10 awards (7 during my tenure)
- Recruited 6 All-Ivy honorees who earned 10 total awards (3 were also Academic All-Ivy) – No player recruited until 5 years after my last class earned any honors.
- Setter coach for the 2001 Ivy League Player of the Year, her successor who became the all-time school record holder, the starter after that who went on to twice earn All-Ivy recognition, and a fourth player who eventually played professionally.
Assistant Coach – University of Rhode Island (2000-01)
Assisted with in-season and off-season training, match management, opponent scouting, and recruitment (half year as volunteer, half year as 2nd Assistant). Helped recruit a 2-time All-Conference 1st team award winner.
Assistant Coach – Dean College, Franklin, MA (1998-2000)
Assisted the head coach in all facets of managing the program, including training, match management, statistics compilation and analysis, opponent scouting, recruitment, travel and budget, fund-raising, and athlete counseling
- 1999 NJCAA Region XXI Champions (first ever championship)
Head Coach – Svedala Volleybollklubb, Sweden (2015 – 2016)
- Won the 2015 Time Vision Cup, hosted by Brøndby Volleyball Klub
- Qualified the team for Gran Prix for only the second time in club history, and won Bronze.
- All three foreign players signed were selected for year-end “all-star” team.
- Team led the league in blocking and serving during my tenure
Visiting Coach – FINO Kaposvar and other teams across Europe (September/October 2019)
Spent nearly 2 months in Europe. Three weeks of that was with Hungarian professional team FINO Kaposvar during their preseason training. I also spent shorter period of time with clubs and teams in England, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland. I documented the trip here.
Visiting Coach – TV Bühl and SC Potsdam (Summer 2014, 2015)
Spent 10 days each with a men’s and women’s German professional team during their preseason for the 2014-15 season, and then 3 weeks again with TV Bühl during preparation for the 2015-16. Assisted in running training sessions, and in the case of TV Bühl aided the coaching staff in developing practice plans and in player assessments.
Club, Juniors, and Other Coaching Experience
Coach – Devon Women’s Volleyball Club, UK (2013)
Took over a women’s team halfway through the 2012-13 season with the objective of avoiding relegation from Division 1 of the National Volleyball League. Guided the team to a 7-1 second half record to achieve a mid-table final standing. Our only loss was in 5 sets away to the league champions in our last match. Also coached the team in the regional championship tournament at the end of the season.
- 2013 South West Regional Champions
Club Director – RI Blast Junior Volleyball (2001-07)
Co-Founded and managed the largest Juniors club in the state of Rhode Island (now known as Blast Volleyball) – starting with girls’ teams with teams from 12s up to 18s, later adding boys. Created and ran a 2-day inter-regional tournament which attracted teams from all over the Northeast. Represented the club at regional meetings. Recruited and managed club coaches. Established and maintained supplier and facility vendor relationships. Promoted the club throughout the state. Coached the 16s and 18s teams at different points.
High Performance Coach – New England Region (2002)
Took part in the initial selection process of a U18s team comprising the top Juniors players from the New England region. Coached the team during training for and during competition at the USA Volleyball High Performance tournament, which featured teams from several other regions, as well as Canada and Puerto Rico.
Co-Founder and Coach – Rhode Island Juniors (2000-01)
Co-Founded a new club program for 12-and-under girls which comprised teams for the northern and southern parts of the state. Represented the club at regional meetings. Assisted in coaching the teams, which finished the season 1st and 2nd in the regional championships.
Coach – Metrowest Juniors Volleyball Club (1998-2000)
Coached first the 16s and then 18s inter-regional teams. Assisted the director in club management.
Coach – Southeast Scholastic Boys (1998)
Selected, trained, and coached a regional team of high school aged boys (U17) for the Bay State Games.
- Gold medal winners.
Other Volleyball Experience
Developer – Volleyball Coaching Wizards
Working with an experience professional and national team coach, I am developing coaching education content based on interviews done with the world’s best volleyball coaches at all levels.
Publisher – Inside College Volleyball
Worked with another experienced NCAA volleyball coach to develop and publish a college volleyball recruiting book which is available for sale at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, Google and other places.
Girls’ Juniors Scheduler – New England Region (2001-05)
Scheduled all girls’ Juniors teams in the New England region annually for four regular season dates plus season-end championships. Maintained the regional rankings.
Developer & Patent Holder – Precision Passer training aide
Developed a net-suspended volleyball target device through the prototype and patenting process. Arranged for production and marketed the device to schools and clubs across the United States, and in some cases abroad.
Nominated for 2013-14 South West Volleyball Association Coach of the Year (England)
USA Volleyball Coaches Accreditation Program (CAP) Level III and Beach IMPACT
Volleyball England Coaching Level 3 certification
American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) member and multiple-time mentor in the AVCA mentorship program (currently referred to as Match Point).
University of Exeter, U.K. – PhD, Behavioral Finance
University of Maryland, College Park – Master of Business Administration
University of Rhode Island – BS in Business Administration
I spent over 10 years working in the financial markets, authored a published book, and have had a number of entrepreneurial and business ventures over the years. Details can be found in my business LinkedIn profile.