Synopsis: This is a game based on the bonus point idea, which means you can use it to encourage your team to concentrate on certain key areas of focus. It allows for a lot of flexibility and adaptability for varied levels of play and complexity.
Age/Skill Level: This game is suitable for all levels.
Requirements: Court, 2 teams, 1 ball.
Execution: Start with each team choosing some number of bonus point plays/tasks they must complete. For example, one team could select quick set kill, getting a single block for the OH, and getting a soft or stuff block while the other picks forcing a non-setter to take the second ball in serve receive, getting a tip kill, and getting a high ball kill. The team that is able to do all their bonus plays first wins.
- You can do this in a small-sided game fashion.
- The required bonuses could be randomly chosen, assigned by the coach, or picked by the team.
- Multiple executions of a single play can be included, such as getting 5 good passes.
- This game was described by US Women’s National Team coach Karch Kiraly at the 2015 HP Coaches Clinic.
- If you don’t allow teams to know the bonus plays for each other you add the dimension of forcing them to try to figure it out to prevent the other team from “scoring”.