Synopsis: This is a combination passing and setting drill, which can also incorporate controlled serving, and perhaps even hitting.
Age/Skill Level: This is suitable for all levels
Requirements: 5+ players, 4 balls, court, 2 cones
Execution: Place one player in each half of the back row, a setter near the net in the passing target zone, and one player each near the antennae as setting targets, with a coach on the other side of the net opposite the passers. The coaches alternate sending free balls to their passer. After a player passes the ball, they move to a cone set somewhere on the perimeter of the court and then back into position. The setter alternates setting forward and back. After 10 balls to each passer, they switch with one of the targets.
- Players can be used in place of the coaches to initiate balls to the passers.
- Serves (from in the court or full) can be used in place of free balls.
- Setter can either set the balls passed from position 5 to the target in 4, and the ones from zone 1 to the target in 2, or vice versa.
- Rather than just catching the ball, the setter targets could hit.
- Ensure your setter is always operating from your preferred target area to encourage passes directed there.
- This drill can be run with just 4 balls by having each target start with a ball, which they then toss to the free baller (or server) after the latter sends a ball over the net to the passer.
- I saw this being run by German men’s professional team Bühl.
6 Steps to Better Practices - Free Guide
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter today and get this free guide to making your practices the best, along with loads more coaching tips and information.