Synopsis: This is fairly simple group ball-handling and movement drill (though with room for increased complexity and/or intensity) that could be used as a warn-up.
Age/Skill Level: This is suitable for all levels
Requirements: 5 players, 1 balls, court, 3 cones
Execution: Place two players on one side of the court and three on the other. Behind the two players place one cone each, and place a third cone on the 3-player side in the middle of the court toward the back. What follows is a continuous ball movement exercise where the players on the 2-person side always pass the ball straight ahead over the net while those on the 3-person side always pass the ball diagonally. After one of the 2-person side players passes the ball, they circle around the cone behind them, while on the other side the passer loops behind the cone to switch to the other position.
- Players can be required to forearm pass or set the ball, or some combination.
- The cones can be moved to challenge player movement to a greater or lesser degree.
- A second ball can be introduced to increase tempo and focus requirement.
- If using multiple balls in this drill you’ll probably need to have more than just the 5 players to keep the play flowing.
- I saw this being run by German men’s professional team TV Bühl.
6 Steps to Better Practices - Free Guide
Join my mailing list today and get this free guide to making your practices the best, along with loads more coaching tips and information.