This is an entry in my volleyball coaching log.
I ran a 90 minute training session following the pre-practice team meeting. Blocking movement was incorporated into the team’s warm-up to start building a focus on that aspect of the game as I plan on bringing that more into being a feature element moving forward. I split the team into primary passers (OHs, Liberos) and non primaries (Setters, MBs) for a serving and passing drill to do some passing stats, which I hadn’t done in a couple weeks. From a team perspective, it was a poor performance.
I then progressed into the 22 vs 22 game. This is the first time I’ve used it with this group, but wanted to mix it in. It’s got a good focus on trying to score on the first ball, with the additional element of trying to win points in a row and preventing the other team from doing so. The quality of play was good, but there was too much time spent by the players trying to work out where they were supposed to be on the court.
After training I indicated my disappointment with the above, and on the general low level of intensity. I added that on Wednesday’s training we will be looking at a defensive change having the OHs play in 6 rather than 5 to make the more available as back row attackers. I also said the quick attack was going to get more focused attention to get it to be a feature of the offense.