This is an entry in my volleyball coaching log for 2015-16.
I have to confess that I’ve actually done more relaxing and chilling out over the last week than actual work. That is particularly true of last weekend. After being really wound up in the lead up to the move out of Exeter, it was a much needed few days break. I think this is the longest I’ve gone without posting something to the blog, though I did put up a number of things to the Facebook and Twitter feeds.
There’s still lots for me to do, of course. Just yesterday I submitted a draft of my thesis to my PhD supervisor for review after a couple days working on it in the Svedala library. It’s less than 2 months to when we’re aiming to submit, so a bit of pressure there. I also have some other content type stuff on my to-do list and this little break in things is a good time to get it done.
I met with most of the club’s Board on Monday evening. Basically, it was just an opportunity for them to get to know me since they were not directly involved in my hiring. It was kind of like a group interview in a way. We talked about things like my coaching style and philosophy. The feedback I got afterwards was that they were impressed. Good way to start things off I guess. 🙂
I’ve been told some of the local players have begun doing a bit of training in our main practice gym. I’ll admit to being tempted to pop in on them at some point. I don’t want them to feel any kind of pressure having Coach watching, though. I will try to at least meet up with them at some point before I head off for Germany next weekend, though.
I’ve had both setters post their set terminology in the team’s Facebook group. Not surprisingly, they aren’t the same – and neither matches the sample set diagram I posted a while back. The one the Swedish setter outlined seems to have a mix of naming conventions. We’ll have to sit down and work out a single approach.
We’re still trying to land an OH to fill the third foreign player spot.